When you are considering flooring in “high traffic areas” it would certainly mean the choice you would make where there is the highest footfall during a particular period of time, not vehicular traffic. It can be at your home, office or business places like stores and malls. These areas require flooring with high endurance level and is tough and solid. It also should be easy to maintain and help to avoid slips and trips.
Tiles are graded according to their wear and tear and they come with a PEI ( Porcelain Enamel Institute ) rating in a scale as stated :
- PEI 0 – No traffic (wall tiles)
- PEI 1 – Considerable light traffic (residential bathrooms)
- PEI 2 – Light traffic (residential bathrooms and bedrooms)
- PEI 3 – Light to medium traffic ( rest of residential installations)
- PEI 4 – Medium to heavy traffic (residential kitchen, balcony and some commercial applications, such as office and sales rooms)
- PEI 5 – Heavy traffic ( exteriors, public hallways, shopping malls, airport , hotel lobbies )
The Flooring Options For High Traffic Areas are :
- Natural Stone and
is by far the best option for high traffic areas. You will get decades of high quality performance for your choice. With an almost infinite choice of color and wide range of texture and size, tile flooring would give a whole new meaning to “stepping stones”.
Availability of the kinds of tiles that can be used in flooring can be listed in divisions and sub-divisions for their huge range.
The common few are :
- Porcelain and Non-Porcelain Tile
- Natural Stone Tile
- Glass Tile
Here are the advantages of choosing porcelain and non-porcelain tiles for high traffic areas :
The Advantages of Porcelain Tile Flooring
- Porcelain tile is harder and denser than ceramic tiles.
- Porcelain tile is also highly stain, scratch, frost and moisture resistant.
- Porcelain tile is chemical resistant, and can endure the harsh chemicals of the cleaning agents.
- Easy to install, an additional benefit for high traffic areas.
- Porcelain tile flooring has high aesthetic value
- Porcelain tile is stain proof as the water absorption level is low
- Porcelain tile comes in wide range of color and textures, and offer great flooring design options
- Porcelain tile flooring are easy to maintain and thus is a practical choice for flooring in areas of high traffic.
The Advantages of Ceramic Tile Flooring :
- Higher Durability
- Fire Resistant
- Water Resistant
- Slip resistant
- Stain resistant
- Frost resistant
- Shock resistant
- Come with color permanence